Friday, April 9, 2010

The Dilemma of the Oxford Brogue...

Posted: April 9, 2010

alt

So I knew I wanted a pair of brogues this Spring - great with my boyfriend jeans, preppy with my skinny chino's and who knows how cool with my slouchy linen shorts? The trouble is it's been a bit of a battle to get quite the right look.

Sienna Miller hasn't helped much, turning up on Broadway in some cute Rupert Sanderson numbers.

alt

It all started 2 years back when I figured it was time to have a crack at this look - not wanting to splurge too early I opted for a pair from Yoox.com by Materia Prima, they turned out to be extremely comfy but uber pointy and not quite the right thing - still, no point in sending them back though, I was sure to get some wear out of them...

Last summer I took a different approach and tried the Burberry tumbled leather brogues, currently lying slightly dormant in my closet as the weather hasn't been quite up to it. But still not satisfied - the Burberry ones although super cute do not have the classic hole punching and contrast stitching that my heart desires.

alt

Over the Winter months I set about my search for the perfect brogue with gusto - Topshop's offerings didn't quite cut it - their golden brogue last Fall was more weirdy dance pump than uber cool English country gent.

Aldo faired no better, their blue 'lahaie' hung in there for a while - at least I wore them around the house for a few days - but sadly the hue reminded me of the color we used to paint our Doc Martins back in the day when we thought we were young and reckless and so very punk - with hindsight, not so cool.

So the winner is (currently) - good old Church's - the Burwood metallic - a little silver here, a smattering of classic wing tip detailing there - oh and the pre requisite punched panels. The question is will they stay the course - has my quest ended or are there more out there to discover...

If you liked this post, take a peek at these;

Notes from a Stylists Body is a Temple

How to work this Seasons LWD (Little White Dress)

How to rock the 'Sheer' look this Summer

Posted via email from Big Apple Brits - British Expats, Anglophiles and Brit Culture Lovers New York City

No comments:

Post a Comment